At times when setting up your Smart Camera, you may run into this error message on the Sony Camera:
If you encounter this issue, follow the steps below to resolve it and learn how to prevent it:
To Resolve Playback Mode on USB Power Supply:
- Unplug the USB power cord from battery.
- If necessary, go to "Shooting Mode" in Sony camera.
- For 2018-2019 battery pack reconnect power cords into correct color-coded ports.
- For cylinder battery press LED button so light comes on.
- Then connect to camera's USB cord.
if you encounter the error using our 2022 batteries, follow the following steps:
- Unplug the Handycam Power Cable (with white tape on the end)
- Unplug the MicroHDMI cable from the Handycam and close the viewfinder
- Wait 10 seconds for the camera to turn off fully, then reopen the viewfinder
- Press the button on the side of the front Head battery and ensure that you see blue lights
- Quickly replug the Handycam Power Cable back into the front Head battery
Also: Don't forget to plug the HDMI cord back into the Handycam
Or if you encounter the error using the 2018-2019 battery pack, then make sure you have the power cords plugged into the below battery in the correct color-coded ports:
At times, some Sony cameras can be a bit picky about it. Just repeat it a few times until it works. It may take up to 5 times for it to work right. If it still doesn't resolve after repeated attempts, then try:
Initializing the camera back to system defaults:
- Go to the Sony Camera Menu
- Scroll down to Initialize
- This will restart the camera. After it restarts it will allow you to set your default settings. You can skip through this process.
- Try connecting the battery correctly again and you should avoid the error.
Ensure your Camera's internal battery isn't completely dead
The #1 fix for this issue is to ensure that the internal battery of your handycam isn't completely drained before turning it on and plugging it into an external battery. When charging your external batteries, also plug in your handycam via the grey USB tucked into the handle strap.
Turn the battery on before connecting it to the camera
To avoid the "Only playback possible during USB Power Supply" error, simply press the LED power button of the cylinder battery BEFORE you connect it to the camera.
The cylinder-shaped Sony Camera battery may NOT turn on by itself when you connect it. You must press the small LED button to turn it on. The light will be green when the battery is on, as shown below:
DO NOT TURN CAMERA OFF AT HALF TIME
Important: once the battery is connected to the camera and functioning correctly, do not turn the camera off using the power button on the Sport Scope app. This is because when the camera is off, the battery will automatically turn off if it is not detecting a device. The battery does NOT turn back on automatically when you turn the camera back on. You would need to lower the tower and press the small LED button again:
The batteries should have plenty of charge to last through half time and the rest of the game. You can find the full instructions for the 2020 Smart Camera or Wireless Camera HERE.
CHARGING THE BATTERIES
Use the Micro USB cord with the included USB wall charger to charge the battery (this is also how you charge the Wireless Head battery). When fully charged the battery light will turn green. Recommended charge time is 8 hours. Battery should last 4-5 hours when being used:
If you have the latest battery configuration you'll charge like this:
Check if battery is defective - Replacing battery:
Check for unusual behavior of battery. The cylinder-shaped battery has proven to be very dependable. If it is defective it will be because physical damage was done to the battery.
If damage was done to battery then this is not covered under warranty. You can find a replacement battery HERE.
Please sign in to leave a comment.