If your EDGE Replay is lagging, the downloads are slow, or not downloading at all then follow the below check list to solve your poor network issues:
|Download the EDGE Replay Setup Checklist||Download the Condensed List for Quick and Easy Checking|
1. MAKE SURE ALL IPADS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH THE SMART CAMERA SYSTEM
Cross reference ALL of your iPads with the iPad models from our Compatibility Page here. Make sure your iPads are in the green under the EDGE Replay orange column.
To find your model number go to the iPad Settings > General > About > Tap on the Model Number so it changes to A1234. Use this number to see if your iPad is compatible on the Compatibility Page.
2. CHECK BRIDGE ANTENNA POSITIONS
Must be free of obstructions such as walls, glass, confined spaces and Antenna must be angled downward in between Sideline and Endzone Bridge Antennas.
Must be pointed upward directly at Pressbox Bridge.
Must be pointed upward directly at Pressbox Bridge
The most common issue with Bridge positions/connections is when the Pressbox Bridge is not out in the open with a clear shot down in between the Sideline and Endzone Bridges.
If the window is not wide/big enough, or if there's glass in front of the antenna, or if the space is causing interference for some reason, it is best to move the Pressbox Bridge antenna to a better location.
Use a longer Ethernet cable so that the Pressbox Bridge antenna can be moved to a position where it has a completely open, clear shot down in between the Sideline and Endzone Bridges:
The latch on the rear of the antenna can be pulled down so that the Ethernet cable can be removed and replaced.
The top of the pressbox is often an ideal place for the Bridge antenna. (Unlike the above picture, the camera and kit can remain downstairs with the iPad antenna if desired).
If you are the Away team and your Sideline Antenna kit is on the far Sideline, here is how you will want your setup. Note that in this case it is preferable to have the Endzone System on the near hash:
3. CONTROL IPAD SHOULD BE CONNECTED TO PRESSBOX NETWORK
The iPad that handles clipping should be connected to the Pressbox network in the SAME ROOM OR VICINITY AS THE PRESSBOX IPAD ANTENNA.
Pressbox iPad Antenna should be on the inside of the room with the iPads. DO NOT PUT IPAD ANTENNA (THE ONE WITH BUNNY EARS) ON OUTSIDE OF PRESSBOX GLASS.
4. TURN OFF LIVE STREAM
When using the EDGE Replay, you will not use the live feed from the cameras. You will have somebody behind the camera in the pressbox and somebody in the Endzone with a monitor aiming the cameras. You do not need to see this feed, you only need to start and stop the clips using the record button on the Control iPad.
If you can see a Live Feed of the field, go to the Cameras Page and turn Live Stream OFF for each camera. You screen should look like this:
NONE OF THE IPADS SHOULD BE LOOKING AT THE LIVE ENDZONE FEED.
You can ensure this does not happen by going to the Preferences Page on the iPads and turning OFF Enable Live Stream.
5. ALL PRESSBOX IPADS SHOULD BE IN SAME ROOM/VICINITY AS PRESSBOX IPAD ANTENNA
- If All iPads are inside room, iPad Antenna (with bunny ears) should be on inside of glass. NOT on the outside of the window.
- Do not have an iPad in the pressbox area separated from the antenna by a wall, glass, ceiling or floor. ALL iPads (including the Control iPad) need to be on the same level in the same room as the iPad Antenna.
Remember that the iPad Antenna can be in a separate room from the camera and/or Pressbox Bridge antenna. The only requirement is that ALL iPads being used in the pressbox area are in same room or vicinity as the Pressbox iPad antenna.
6. USE THE SIDELINE BOOSTER ANTENNA AND SHOOT SIGNAL DOWN SIDELINE
- Make sure Sideline Antenna Kit is at the 20-25 YL closest to your Endzone Camera.
- Ensure Booster antenna is facing down your Sideline where the coaches will be with their iPads.
- Raise the tripod high so that its signal is blasted out above the bodies of any players that might walk in front of it. BUT MAKE SURE THE PANEL IS NOT POINTED UP INTO THE SKY.
- The iPads on the Sideline talk with this antenna so they need to be in range of the signal it is blasting out. It is better for iPads to be closer to the antenna but the signal usually reaches to the far 25 YL.
7. LOWER ANGLE OF ENDZONE BRIDGE ANTENNA BY A FEW DEGREES
- Occasionally the endzone bridge antenna will inadvertently be aiming too high even though its angle looks correct, or there are interferences in the airwaves that it's having trouble cutting through.
- Try lowering the Endzone Bridge Antenna by a few degrees and then test to see if any lag or other network issues persist. Sometimes this small adjustment can make a huge difference.
8. MAKE SURE IPADS ARE CONNECTED TO CORRECT NETWORK
- Always check to make sure that ALL iPads in the Pressbox are connected to the Pressbox network
- Always check to make sure that ALL iPads on the Sideline are connected to the Sideline network
9. CHECK WIFI % CONNECTION ON SYSTEM INFO PAGE IF HAVING CONTINUED ISSUES
If you have followed all of the above guidelines and the system is still lagging or downloads are slow/not working, it may be because there is a device on the network that is poorly connected or causing an issue in some other way.
- Go to the System Info page
- Hit the Scan button in the top right
- WAIT for the scan to complete (usually 20-30 seconds)
- Look at the WIFI% for all of the connected devices and see if there are any other red flags
- Remove any devices that are incompatible with the Smart Camera system, such as old iPads and/or any phones.
- IMPORTANT: If an iPad has poor WIFI% (anything below 70%), do the following:
- Turn the WiFi OFF on that iPad.
- Move the iPad as close as possible to the antenna it was connected to.
- Turn the WiFi back on and reconnect to the appropriate Sport Scope network.
10. TEMPORARILY TURN WIFI OFF ON ALL IPADS/RESET THE IPAD NETWORK SETTINGS
If even after all of the above troubleshooting your network is still having problems with lag, slow replay downloads, or the downloads not working at all, temporarily turn off the WIFI on ALL the iPads, EXCEPT for the Master Control iPad
Use the system with only the one Control iPad and verify that it is now working correctly. If it is still not working correctly try resetting the Network Settings
- Go to General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- The iPad will reboot. You will be required to input the WiFi password once you reconnect.
Once the Master Control iPad is working normally, begin reconnecting all the other iPads back on to the network one-by-one. DO NOT RECONNECT ALL OF THE IPADS BACK TO THE SPORT SCOPE NETWORKS ALL AT ONCE.
- Connect an iPad and continue filming. Make sure the lag is minimal and download speed is reasonable.
- If good, connect another iPad. Keep filming and make sure speed is still good.
- Continue like this until all the iPads are back on the networks and the system is still running smoothly
11. MAKE SURE THE IPAD'S STORAGE ISN'T FULL
First, go into the Settings on your iPad. Then go to General > [Device] Storage ( [Device] will be the name of your iPad). This will show you how much space is left on your iPad. If it's over 75% full you will want to delete anything you can to get more available space (see below)
Deleting off the iPad from the Sport Scope and Files app, and from the devices
Delete old games from the Sport Scope app on the Games page. We recommend doing this while the system is connected and delete From Both the iPad and the Smart Camera/EDGE box(es). For more instruction on how to delete from the app and devices see our Clearing Space from iPad article.
Games that have been exported or saved to the device in the Files app also take up space on the iPad. This is completely separate from the files in the Sport Scope app. Deleting from the Sport Scope app will not delete these files and so the storage on your iPad may begin to fill up.
- Open the Files app (tap on the icon that looks like a file folder).
- On the top left click on "On My iPad" under the locations tab
- Click on the "Sport Scope" folder then the "Games" folder
- Tap on Select, select the games you wish to delete, then tap "Delete" in the lower right corner.
Next we will empty the trash can as deleting the game won't immediately remove it from the iPad.
- Go back to the first page in the files app
- To empty the trash, open the "Recently Deleted" in the left column under locations.
- Tap on Select.
- Tap "Delete All" in the bottom to empty the folder.
- A box will ask you to reconfirm if you want to delete the items. By clicking "Delete" in this box, you will fully empty your iPad's Files trash.