When the Zoom is not working, this is usually from the Smart Camera not recognizing the camera while it's starting up. This is very easy to fix, and there are two ways to go about it.
Option 1: Unplug and Replug the Zoom Cable
See the photo below for which cable is the Zoom Cable.
Option 2: Turn the Sony camera Off and back On.
- Hold the power button for 2 seconds and release.
- Wait for screen to go black and say Camera Offline.
- Wait an additional 10 second.
- Hold power button for 2 seconds again and release. Be patient for video to come back on screen.
- The Zoom should now work.
Test: Remove the Memory Card
- On the left side of the Sony Handycam next to the HDMI port, there's an SD memory card port
- Gently press in on the memory card until you hear a click, then slowly release pressure
- Restart the Sony Handycam by closing the viewfinder, waiting for 10 seconds, then reopening
- Once the blue "Camera Offline" error goes away, test the zoom functionality once again
If this worked, it's almost certainly because the memory card is full.
To fully clear all data on the memory card you may accomplish this when the memory card is in the camera go to: Menu > Setup > Format > Select OK to delete all data.
Important: The memory card is needed for the zoom to work when you are recording to the memory card. If the memory card gets full, the zoom will stop working. Be sure to empty the SD card between games if you are saving the recording to the camera to prevent this issue from happening.
ZOOM ISSUE PREVENTION
To make sure the zoom always works when you first boot up the system, there are two things to look out for. The first is to make sure the Power cable is plugged in last, shown in the picture below.
The second thing to look out for is whether you've set it to Record to the Camera's SD Card or not.
If you've tried all of the above and the zoom is still not working, check how you are recording for your sport:
You MUST use Record to iPad
NOT FILMING FOOTBALL? (SOCCER, LACROSSE, ETC)
You MUST use Record to Camera
Check the Connector:
If zoom is still not working after all of these steps, examine the zoom cable connector from all sides to see if it is visibly damaged. See example:
If Zoom Connector is damaged, you to purchase a replacement. You can order one directly through Support at 509-204-3270. DAMAGE TO CONNECTOR IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE WARRANTY.
If connector looks good and zoom is still not working then there may be an issue with the internal connections in the Wireless head. Call Sport Scope Tech Support at 509-204-3270 for further guidance.